Black Girl Magic is a rallying call for women to come together, connect, inspire, empower, and unite as one! Boss Women Media is the force that creates these magical moments for women. 2021 is the year where women get highlighted. You know the ones that are sitting at the table and who are taking the world by storm.
Meet Melissa Watkins, Social Media Strategist & Influencer
- Please tell us what your role is and what it entails?
Social Media Strategist & influencer
- How did you land this position?
I created my position. I’ve been sharing my life on the internet since 2008. As each social media platform was created, I was an early adopter. I found ways to share my content with various audiences on various platforms. Now I teach others to do the same.
- What does your everyday “workday” look like?
My workday consists of making a ‘to-do’ list, reviewing content for myself and my clients (including photos, graphics, blog posts, and copy), scheduling photo shoots, and replying to lots of emails. On weekends I shoot photo content for my lifestyle brand as well as host 1:1 workshops with creatives.
- What keeps you motivated?
Helping people be their best. I love teaching people to push past their fear and frustration. To watch someone have an ‘a-ha’ moment is amazing. I love to see my clients take my instruction and just run!
- Who/what inspires your drive as a woman?
The women in my family (mom & aunts) who have overcome some amazing obstacles. They stand tall with smiles on their faces showing me that I can overcome too.
- What’s one important thing you’ve learned while being in your role?
‘READ IT AGAIN’ – emails, contracts, copy for social media posts! Read it as many times as you need to make sure it’s correct. Once it’s in the world, you usually can’t edit.
- If you could switch job titles with anyone in the world for one day, who would it be and why?
I know this will sound controversial, but I’d switch Job Titles with Kris Jenner. Hear me out! The way she manages the lives of her children while ensuring that every move (even the mistakes) can garner an opportunity, GENIUS LEVEL! The amount of influence and the way she has to supervise various teams must be insane.
- What do you think is the first word that comes to mind when others describe you? Why?
SMART. I’d hope that my knowledge and skill level is the first thing people think about me.
- Where can our followers connect with you on social media?
They can follow me @fabglance on all social media networks.
- Any additional information you’d like to add?
I’d like to remind women don’t be afraid to bet on yourself. That idea or product might not be the most popular, AT FIRST, but there’s a reason that it keeps nagging at your spirit. Do it!